|Meal Cost: $10||Feeds: 2-4||Prep Time: 15 min||Cook Time: 15 min|
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 2 15oz cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- vegan hamburger buns (gluten free, if required)
- Pour the chickpeas into a bowl. Use a fork or potato masher to mash them until they are in small chunks/shreds. Set aside for the time being.
- Preheat the oven to it’s lowest temperature. Open the buns and place the halves, inner side up, on the center rack (or on a baking sheet). Let them heat up for about 8-13 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large shallow saucepan over medium heat for about one minute. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until onions are slightly transparent and garlic is fragrant. Add the bell pepper and the chickpeas and sauté for about two minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes, until heated through and slightly thickened. If it sticks, add a little water to scrape the pan and lower the heat a bit.
- Once the buns are warmed and the chickpea mixture is hot, scoop the mixture onto the four buns. Serve while hot. The filling can be kept for about 4-6 days depending on storage container you use.
- Eat it all gone!