|Meal Cost: $10||Feeds: 4-6||Prep Time: 30 min||Cook Time: 30 min|
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 10 ounces cauliflower florets, cut into 1/2 inch-pieces (3 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups raw cashews, chopped
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium heat
- Stir in nutritional yeast, mustard, tomato paste, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, and turmeric and cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Stir in almod milk, scraping up any browned bits, and bring to simmer over medium-high heat.
- Stir in cauliflower and cashews, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, partially covered, until cauliflower is very soft, generally takes 20 minutes.
- Process cauliflower mixture in blender until smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down sides as needed. Should make two batches of sauce in the blender.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add macaroni and 1 tablespoon salt and cook, stirring often, until tender.
- Drain macaroni and set aside. Transfer pureed cauliflower mixture to the now empty pot and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat.
- Add drained macaroni and cook, stirring constantly, until warmed through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Eat it all gone!
Credit “Vegan For Everybody” by America’s Test Kitchen