|Meal Cost: $15||Feeds: 2-4||Prep Time: 25 min||Cook Time: 50 min|
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup small diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter substitute, such as Earth Balance
- 1/3 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup almond or soy milk
- Two 9-inch deep dish, unbaked pie crusts, lard free
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the carrots, peas, potatoes and celery. Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onions in the butter until they’re soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, celery seed and garlic powder. Cook for 2 minutes to get the flour taste out.
- Slowly stir in the broth and then add the soy milk. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the drained vegetables.
- Roll out one of the unbaked crusts and place in a 9-inch-deep pie plate. Pour the mixture into the bottom crust.
- Roll out the second pie crust and place on top. Seal the edges and cut small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Eat it all gone!